Sunday, June 30, 2013

You VS the Store!

An incident that happened to me a few days ago is what inspired me to write about it and pass on my knowledge and experience to you so if you are caught in the same situation you can stand up for your rights and prove yourself smarter than the store employees!

We will leave the store name out because in all honesty this can happen anywhere but let me say I was not at all shocked that this happened to me.  I hate this store with all my passion and regret shopping there every time I go but for some weird reason this store seems to have a couple items that I can't for the love of me find anywhere else! 

I was at self check out because I didn't have a ton of items and I hate dealing with store clerks and coupons.  I had all my stuff scanned and I was scanning my coupons and when I came to my Black Flag coupons they scanned but kept saying that the coupon didn't match the item.  The coupon CLEARLY stated $1 off ANY Black Flag product, I was buying fly ribbon.  The clerk they have that assists anyone needing help at self check out came over and read the coupon then looked at my item, she then over road the system and punched in the coupon.  I told her I had 3 more, she then tried scanning it but she was holding it wrong so it wouldn't scan.  I didn't want to tell her how to do her job so I just stood there.  She then looked at the coupon more closely and said "I know why this won't scan it's a copy!"  I told her it was NOT a copy and she says "Yes it is they all have the same number" as she points to the WRONG set of numbers you're supposed to look at.  I then proceeded to tell her she was looking at the wrong numbers and I did NOT break the law by photo copying a coupon and that I had 2 computers and you are allowed to print 2 coupons from each computer which means 4 coupons which I had!  She then says "I can get a manager to tell you the same thing" I said "Ok good!"

The Manager comes over and says "If a coupon can't scan we can't accept it" I say that's fine but these DO scan but YOUR system says the coupon doesn't match the product, I left out the part about her associate not knowing how to scan a coupon.  I scan it for her and show her what the system says.  She then wants to see what product I am buying and how much it is.  Finally she over rides the system and manually puts in my 3 coupons.  She then adds "I see you're a "clipper" so you might want to checkout with a cashier next time since they can over ride the system if there is a problem." Oh I'm so sorry I made you do your job AND what the heck is with calling me a "Clipper"?! So ya I was embarrassed because there were people behind me who heard the first employee accuse me of ILLEGALLY trying to use photo copied coupons and then heard me being called a clipper.

Ok so now that you know what happened to me and I am going to show you what information you need to know about a coupon so if this happens to you, and it probably will, you'll be prepared to show those employees that they don't know their job!



In the coupon about you'll see a bar code on the bottom left side with a set of numbers about it and a funny looking bar code on the upper right corner with a set of numbers below it. Both sets of numbers serve a purpose.  The bottom left bar code and numbers identify what product the coupon is good for and it will ALWAYS be the same on every coupon you print out for this coupon offer.  This is the number the employee kept insisting was supposed to be different.  The number on the top right is a verification code which will tell if the coupon is fake or real.  The number will ALWAYS be different on these, if they aren't different that is how you can tell they are fake.
Above is another example of a coupon but the bar code in the upper right corner is a tad different.  It still has a bar code, just looks different.  The verification numbers under it are also different, they contain a series of numbers AND letters.  But 1 thing that is the same on both coupons is that the codes will ALWAYS be different with each coupon printed.

I often trade coupons online with people and there are some dishonest people in the world so to make sure I don't accidentally try to use a fake coupon I verify my traded coupons on http://www.couponsinc.com/crc/index.asp and http://verifymycoupon.com/vmc/qrverify.jsp.  You just type in the verification code from the upper right corner and it will tell you if it's a fake or not.  The first website is for verification codes from coupons like in the first picture and the second website is for verification codes like in the second picture.  I would suggest practicing with one you know is legit, like one you printed yourself, just to get the hang of it.  Also there are so many fake coupons floating around out there it's good to know just what's out there so you can spot a fake without even having to verify it.  I often go on the http://www.couponinformationcenter.com/psa-list.php website.  This website has a huge list of all the fake coupons that are out there right now, very informative website.

I hope none of you have to go through what I went through but with employees not knowing the regulations of coupons and what they're actually looking at, odds are you will probably run into this problem.  But at least now you know how to deal with the problem!  When in doubt ALWAYS remain calm and ask for a manager.

-Southern Savings Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment